Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Yummy Yum Cha

The past week I've been super excited because Jack booked tickets to go to Auckland this month and I get to go to Tatsumi! I've already booked the table (a month in advance is not too eager...) and studied the menu, so it's going to be awesome!

We're also going to Rotorua for some hot pools action so I better somewhat control myself in the food area so I can still fit into my swimsuit the next day.

 
Turnip Cake, Congee and Cold Chicken Feet
Beef Brisket Rice Noodles
 
Tripe
Shrimp Dumplings
Yum Cha staples:
  • Shrimp Dumplings (Har Gau)
  • Steamed Pork Dumplings (Siu Mai)
  • Steamed Pork Ribs
  • Steamed Chicken Feet
  • BBQ Pork Buns
I don't eat steamed chicken feet because it reminds me of wrinkly old ladies. I'm not the kind to be all ewww gross, feet, I mean I eat chicken so it's still chicken and I'm not disgusted by it in that way, just my brain just doesn't like the look of them. I will however eat them the other way because the texture is crunchy and I like how Red Bowl mixes it with sesame and chilli oil. Mmm oils.

I love pork ribs but I can't eat half of the pork ribs yum cha places offer because of one ingredient they add, and unfortunately they do add it. In Chinese cooking sometimes dried fruit peel is used with beef and pork to do something with the flavour and I hate it. Even if the amount is minuscule, it's the first thing I can taste and it's almost an instant gag reflex that I can't ignore sigh. So no yummy ribs for me.

As for the steamed pork dumplings and bbq pork buns, didn't really feel like it to be honest. 

I don't normally get time to take photos when I'm at yum cha and we go a lot. Traditionally it is a relaxing tea drinking affair but realistically there's such a rush and thrill to it that you just eat and leave. It's okay here for now, but apparently in a lot of other places they actually put time limits on how long you can be there for?! The pressure. 

Food at Red Bowl is nice, the one thing I think they do better than any other yum cha place in the city is their congee. It might not be anything amazing to look at, it's rice porridge, white glug, and sometimes you may have to adjust the flavor yourself slightly, but the consistency of that glug for people who know how to eat it that way is perfect and it has never disappointed me!

I also really enjoyed the english love songs they had playing, I haven't heard Boyzone and Wet, Wet, Wet since high school and it was great to reminisce about the good ole days... 

Now, I wonder if it will snow tonight and if I will still have to go to work tomorrow if it does... 



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...